Sunday, December 18, 2011

Things that remind me of my childhood--Christmas Edition

I am a VERY nostalgic person.

Usually at the beginning of every new season, I find myself reliving those nostalgic feelings. For example, when summer begins, I usually think about my time spent at my grandparents more. I remember the summers spent going to the fair with them, playing in their yard, the window air unit that would freeze me out of their living room, my Grandad's tan line from mowing, their garden, and my grumpy grandma cooking in her kitchen. Sometimes those feelings are so strong, it's almost paralyzing. I hope I don't sound too crazy saying that.

Anyhow! One day I was reading Grass Stains Blog, and saw where she did some posts about things that reminded her of her childhood, and me being the nostalgic soul I am, absolutely loved it! So, I've decided to take a crack at it.


And hands down, the season that gets me the most nostalgic is Christmas. There are so many triggers, all it takes is a song, a smell, a sight, and I am this girl again.

Here we go..

Tins. My mom would bake a TON when we were kids, and she always put the goodies in tins and gave them away.

Fudge.
Mexican wedding cakes (or at least that's what my mom called them)
Magic Bars
And chocolate crinkles.
All of those goodies, instantly remind me of my childhood, I mean I can almost taste them NOW!

Another thing that I fondly remember? Ornaments such as these. Especially at my grandparents house!
And large colored light bulbs. These always decorated the outside of our house.
And was it just us? Or did anyone else have these crazy stars atop their Christmas trees? The movie, It's A Wonderful Life. I remember starting to watch this when I was very young, I probably thought it was boring at the time, but now I love it.
Oh man, probably only my siblings will understand this one. We ALWAYS watched Little House on the Prairie, and to this day when I watch the Christmas episode I think of drying my hair by the fireplace and probably eating one of the above said treats.
We also never missed Rudolph! And holy cow, the abominable snowman always freaked me out!
The Andy Griffith Show. Seriously watch this episode, every.single.year.
Of course Frosty the Snowman...
And my favorite Charlie Brown.
And lastly, the thing that reminds me of my childhood the most? Hands down is music! It only takes a few bars of a certain song, and I think of my dad playing our records on the turn table.

Andy Williams. Love it!
And Ray Conniff is always the winner in my book! We must have listened to this record a thousand times over.
And now a grown woman, I appreciate all those nostalgic feelings and triggers. Sometimes it's just good to sit back and remember....

5 comments:

April said...

I think we did have one of those star things! :)

Jaime Mac said...

My grandma had those big gawdy ornaments AND that star! I used to love looking at them.
I only think you're a little crazy for saying the thoughts paralyze you... :)

Tracey said...

Totally had one of those stars!! Love this post!!

Jami said...

Oranges! The smell of oranges makes me think of Christmas.
Nice pictures.

Jill said...

I love this post. . .and totally might have to steal this idea! So many things I identified with. . .tins, magic bars, Rudolph, Andy Williams {my mom always listened to an Andy Williams tape}. And my grandma had one of those stars. This brought back great memories!