Sunday, June 13, 2010

Giving up my right arm.

Okay, so here's the deal people. I quit Facebook.

I can hear the collective gasps.....

So, let me explain. Facebook is a fun, fun way to stay in touch, find people you haven't seen in years and learn about all their worlds in the click of a mouse. I've been on it for over a year, and well, at first it was just all kick and giggles. However, over the last few months I've started to feel like it's just sucking my time. I get on their countless times a day, and it's also on my phone, which I also check countless times. Now, if anyone reading this does the same thing, believe me, I'm not judging you. I just started having strong convictions about it. I'm not the kind of person that can only get on there once a day, nope, I don't have that kind of willpower. So, when I realized that I would rather give up my right arm, than Facebook, I knew that I had a problem. It's been taking up too much of my mommy/wife time, and well, I need to get back to the basics for a while. Will I give it up forever?? I don't know, but for now if you need to reach me, it's gonna have to be the old fashioned way. Good old telephone baby....

10 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

i hear ya'!! i was doing the same thing. that's why i gave it up for lent. that was the greatest thing i've ever done!! i still get on it occasionally but i realize that i can live without it and i don't care it i don't get on. good for you and for realizing it! good luck but it isn't as hard as you may think once you get over the first couple of days of not logging on! it becomes such a habit!

Jaime Mac said...

OMW! I know this is a big sacrifice, so good for you...if this is what you need to do.
However, please don't be hatun' when a certain someone writes stuff on your wall just to force you to get on there! teehee!

Tracey said...

I can't believe you actually did it! :) I'm proud of you. FB can be a huge time sucker! Now I need to have the willpower and follow suit! Oui...

ginmommy said...

Oh no Jaime, I deactivated my account!!! I'm giving myself 4 weeks and then I may re-activate it at that time, I'm gonna wait and see how I feel. ;)

Jaime Mac said...

GINMOMMY! Deactivation? That's just like DEATH! :) I will miss you on fb, sniff, sniff. And I HOPE this has nothing to do w/ the banter between you, me & Jami Leigh Lee! You know I don't give a flip if you butt in - & I'm quite sure she doesn't either. That's the fun of fb! :)
Also, I'm begging for forgiveness now if I text the heck outta you. If you cancel your texting plan, I'm gonna start taking this personally! ;)

ginmommy said...

Oh my gosh, it totally has NOTHING to do with our convo's!! That's what I'm gonna miss. It's totally giving myself a break for a while. Need some time to prove that I don't have to do it. I may re-activate again. I'm gonna try and give myself 4 weeks, and then I'll see....oh, and text away!!! It's unlimited :)

Jill said...

Good for you. I'm rarely on there anymore. It just kind of lost it's fun for me, too. Seriously, I don't have to know when say someone goes to the grocery store and buys a can of vegetables and posts it as their status update. Sometimes I want to say. . .so what?! I know that sounds so mean, but to me there's an aspect of FB that is so superficial and it's scary how much relational energy it's easy to pour into it. I'd rather have a good "old fashioned" talk face to face when someone. Proud of ya! ;)

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

i completely agree with jill. that's what i always say "i don't care if you go to the grocery!" ha ha!!

Jami said...

I was going to say the same thing Alicia just said after Jill. I thought about quitting a while back b/c I don't usually post anything personal, that is left for my blog readers, not everyone I knew/ went to high school with/know who you are/can't even remember who you are.

Arthur Family said...

I am so proud of you! You know my whole novel reading issue? That was the problem and now I have only read like three novels since then. It really made me look at my priorities. You will be so glad!