Friday, April 16, 2010

A letter to my daughter...

Dear Hope,

Today is your 3rd birthday!!! WOW, you are growing up right before our very eyes. It really seems like just yesterday we were thinking about having you....


You know that your name is just more than a pretty name to us. We always liked the name Hope, and when I was pregnant with your brother, if he were to be a girl, it would have been his namesake. However, God knew that name would mean more the second time around. You see, we were told to not have another child. Doctors said the baby would have deformities, and be unhealthy. Yet after much prayer, your daddy and I knew that there was a plan for another baby, and so the name Hope, came to mean much more. Plus do you know how stinkin' excited we were for a girl??? Oh my goodness. A girl had not been born on Mommy's side of the family for over 30 years!!! So even though your birth kicked my rear end, you my pretty girl were well worth it.

At the ripe old age of 3, you are such a joy. You are sassy and, oh so girly. Sometimes, you speak as if you are a teenager, with such a tude' (completely get that from your daddy) but the good thing is when I deal with you, you're easily reached and the big tears begin (also from your daddy ;)) You love your big brother, and it's fun to watch you two play together. Your smart as a whip, and have been very verbal for a long time!! You like your veggies, which makes me happy, but not too crazy about my meatloaf ;) I'm not sure how you'll handle your brother starting school, but I think we'll find plenty of things to do together. You are a fun little girl, and I can't wait to watch you grow up.

I pray that you grow to be a compassionate soul, who understands the importance of others. Life isn't about us, it's about others. The most miserable people I know, are the self consumed ones. God has a plan for your life, and I pray that I never get in the way of that plan. Your daddy and I want to watch you flourish, and learn to let you fly. I promise you that I will make mistakes, but I also promise you to not be the kind of parent who is so cold that I will not listen to you. I don't know what all the future holds for us sweet girl, but I can promise to love you every step of the way. I know you can't read or understand this now, but I know one day you will. I hope you can feel my heart.

I love you,
Mommy

5 comments:

Jaime Mac said...

awwww, very sweet, Ginmommy! :)

Jami said...

How sweet! Hope is very lucky to have a mommy like you!

Arthur Family said...

Hope is a blessed little girl! I had to grab a tissue in the middle of reading that!

Terry, Leslie, Noah, Allie, Laynie & Gracie said...

Aww! So, so sweet! What a wonderful mommy! Happy Birthday Hope!

Jill said...

This is beautiful! What a blessed little girl! ;)