Monday, January 17, 2011

Put on your big girl pants....

I just want/need to share about my night.

We moved to Bowling Green October 1st, so we've been here for 3 months. I've done pretty well with "getting out there" so to speak. I enrolled in Jazzercise right away, I've been to lunch with some women Paul works with. We started visiting a church right away, Living Hope, and we are pretty sure that it's our fit and where God is leading us. I've made "friends" with some of my fellow Jazz people, you know coffee here and there, but nothing too big. I guess what I'm trying to say, is I haven't felt to much out of my comfort zone in these 3 months.

Until tonight. I went to a MOPS group at the church tonight. I knew one person in a room of 30. It kind of felt like Junior High all over again. Not because anyone was mean or anything, but just that weird feeling of "I'm not one of them" and "I don't know their stories and they don't know mine" You know what I'm saying?? When you've grown up in one place your whole life, you just know everything. It's just comfortable. Even when I went to SouthEast for a while, I knew some people. As I was sitting there, I thought I was gonna cry!!! Not for any particular reason, except it was the first time that it really dawned on me "I'm not home"

Just like God though, He sat me next to some really nice women. Women who made me relax and feel "okay" They invited me to Bible study Wednesday morning, and bagels Thursday. Also, the speaker was WONDERFUL, and I just know that I was to be there. Uncomfortable or not, sometimes you have to put on your big girl pants and just go.....

Feeling stretched tonight, and just needed to share.

9 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

thanks for sharing. I can't imagine being in your situation. i moved away to college but that is different than what you are going through. hang in there!!

btw, so glad to hear you joined jazz!

Jami said...

Awww... I'm proud of you!

Susie said...

That had to be hard!! Praying for you!

Jaime Mac said...

What a nice story. I'm so glad you shared with us! I'm sure moving away is hard, but I know you can do it! God will take care of you (obviously!)!
BTW-haha on the junior high reference! Isn't that the truth though? We are in a room of people we don't know & we wilt like a flower?! Glad you find some nice ladies to hang with!

Arthur Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pambush.blogspot.com said...

We very proud of you. We've been praying for special friends, so I'm sure they are just around the corner. :)

Jill said...

Good for you, girl! I can't imagine how hard it would be to have to "start over" with new friends, etc! Way to "stretch". . .sounds cheesy, but that's how we grow. ;)

Beth, Joshua, Isabella, McKinley and AnnaKate said...

This is a great reminder to me... be friendly and inviting to the newbies. Sometimes it's hard cause I like my comfort zone :-) But now I will TRY!!!!

Tracey said...

*Sigh. I miss you. But I am SOO proud of you for getting out there. BG is blessed to have you and I'm sure that the ladies there will love you as much (not really) as we do!!! ;) And I LOVE Beth's comment. A great reminder to reach out to visitors.