Friday, January 3, 2014

An unexpected journey

It was a day in November that I asked the kids if they wanted to have a piece of fudge that their Neena had made. And considering that I usually want to hoard all that fudge for myself that was really big of me. 

Anyways, kids said, "YES"

Pierce took a bite of it and told me he didn't like it, and I questioned his judgement about life, but whatever more for me. And then it wasn't even a minute later that he told me that his tongue itched. 

Um, what?!

There are walnuts in the fudge and I immediately wondered..... I texted Brittany who has experience with food allergies, and she told me that a food allergy can develop at any age. Great

Appointment with allergist was set weeks out, but we just wont eat any nuts between now and then I told Pierce. Until genius mom here forgot that rule and gave him a bite of Derby Pie, UGH. And again he said his tongue was itching. 

I still thought to myself surely not, but appointment will confirm either way. 



But much to wishful thinking, I was wrong.



The doctor came in and told us he is indeed allergic to tree nuts and peanuts.

I think I teared up for a second.

Suddenly we are talking Epi Pens and plans of action if ever need be, and I just never expected that. I know parents and children deal with this on a daily basis, but it took me a few minutes to wrap my head around it.


 I'm thankful he's older and is aware of what he's eating and not a baby who just puts anything and everything in his mouth. And I'm thankful I know for sure now. I'm also thankful that it's just an itchy tongue and not a throat swelling shut kind of thing. And prayerfully it never goes there.

It's an unexpected journey, but that's okay.


10 comments:

Jami said...

It totally stinks, but as far as allergies goes he does seem pretty lucky.

Beth, Joshua, Isabella, McKinley and AnnaKate said...

Ugh. I hate that for you all but yes it could be much worse.

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I'm so sorry! But I'm glad it's not a true anaphylactic reaction, at least not yet. Prayers!

Anonymous said...

When I was 7, we found out the hard way that I am extremely allergic to bees... I got stung and immediately went into anaphylactic shock, stopped breathing, and had to be rushed to the emergency room. I've carried an Epipen on me ever since. It does suck to have such an allergy and to have to always carry an Epipen, but thankfully I've never had to use it. I'm glad that his reaction wasn't as severe and I hope the best for you guys.

Hillary said...

Poor guy! I'm so glad that his reaction wasn't as bad as it could have been and even more thankful that it wasn't the chocolate that he was allergic to! :)

Hope ya'll have an awesome weekend!

xoxox

Susie said...

Glad he didn't have a worse reaction!! Poor guy!! There is so many things now he has to watch for that has peanut oil or nuts in it.

Jaime Mac said...

Oh his poor back! Been there done that & I know it sucks!!! The epi pen is just a way of life for you guys now. But better to have it & not need it then need it & not have it. Thinking of you all...I know this will be a tough journey.

Jessica said...

Sorry to hear that but glad you all caught it before he got real sick:(

Alicia Mcafee said...

This is stinky!!! Sorry!!

I'm all caught up on your blog!! Enjoyed your story telling as usual!! ❤️😊👍

ginmommy said...

Thanks for all the comments guys! I love all my bloggy people :-)