Sunday, March 27, 2011

Come on baby light my fire.

You know, when you get married you just don't know what the future holds. It's full of mystery, and you envision all the things that you think your future will look like. So, let me just say in my visions of the future, not one time did I imagine Paul would be getting into this next adventure.

One day, he and I had a little convo, and it went something like this....

(Oh, a little set up. Paul's right hand man down here, his really good friend, and I might say guy he has a little "bromance" with, is named Sharky, and Sharky is a volunteer firefighter)

Rico: "I went on a run with Sharky last night"

Me: "Oh yeah, was that fun?"

Rico: "Well, yeah, it was...... Oh, and you know they really need help there...."

Me: "(I must say my senses went up) Oh yeah, and ???"

Rico: "How would you feel if I joined?"

This is where I will end the conversation ;-) After a lot of talk about it, I decided I would give my blessing. I had a lot of hesitation about it, but I also know that Rico loves to help people, that's who he is. If not for his chrone's disease he would have been a police officer, or in the service probably. He's missed out a lot of life because of his disease and I want him to live it to the fullest. He's started training, and his man sent me some pics from their full day yesterday.

That's him right in the middle.
Believe me, this I never envisioned.

7 comments:

Jami said...

Oh.My.Goodness! You have to admit firefighters are kind of sexy.

Susie said...

Oh man what a scary job but rewarding. My son-in-law is a volunteer firefighter too and it scares my daughter when he is out on fire run.

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

WOW! That is neat. When Daniel and I started dating, he was a volunteer firefighter. It was neat but very scary! He was in the process of interviewing for the Louisville Fire Department when he got this new job. It is rewarding but very scary for the wife at home. Hang in ther and pray!

Jaime Mac said...

Oh my word! You are a great wifey! Good luck to Rico!

Jill said...

Go Paul! Way to step up there! {And you, too, Gretchen! ☺} It's gotta to be a little scary for you! I remember going to see Paul way back in the day when he was in the hospital with Crohn's. And I think about that verse that talks about "restoring the years the locusts ate". God is doing that for you all. So neat to hear {and see via your blog!} how He is blessing you guys! :)

Tracey said...

(Now I will be singing the Door's all day...)
I'm excited for Paul!!!!! Eric shares his love for excitement and I think it is way cool.

Arthur Family said...

You are an incredible woman, Gretchen! That is really exciting!