Thursday, September 15, 2011

Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.

My first job. I would love to tell you all that I worked really hard to get my first job. How I had to go through a big long process to get the job, and I was picked above all the other applicants. That would be a lie.

My dad is a State Farm agent, since 1971 to be exact. The 1970's the ugliest era to date, when everyone appeared orange and brown, and appliances were puke green. What was going on in the seventies?!

I think at one time or another, my dad has employed everyone in the family, even my mom!! I don't think that went over so well, mom wasn't used to my dad being the boss, HA! (Hi mom!) Anyways, I think around my sophomore year of high school, I started going into the office after school and working. Working, in a very loose sense.

My sister also worked there, and mainly she and I would just goof off. You know, make fun of people, go buy Hostess cakes at the gas station across the street, jam to the 'Light 106.9' tunes, put up dad's awesome Christmas decorations that he surely bought in 1971, get in fist fights, etc. I did have a few VERY important jobs though. I put the gum in the birthday letters, filed, cleaned, and even worked up to the SR21 report.

I feel as though I should apologize to my dad now. Sorry dad you paid me to goof off, but please know Jo and I made some awesome memories at your pay check's expense.

After State Farm, I went on to work at Bacon's, in the junior department, circa 1995. Holla!! Then, Cracker Barrel as a hostess, boy that was fun. Then SIRH (Southern Indiana Rehab Hospital) until right before I gave birth. Last job on my resume, stay at home mom, 2004-present.

6 comments:

Jami said...

Thank a lot! I'm going to have that dang jingle in my head now. I wonder how many times our paths crossed at Bacon's Cracker Barell.

Jaime Mac said...

OH, I remember Bacon's! LOVED that store!
Your dads office sounds like where I work now. Small business - family owned & operated. The owners 'bratty, born with silver spoons in their mouths & the only reason they're here 'working' is to goof off & cause the rest of us to get in trouble' kids are here every.summer. Sigh. (But I'm sure you & Jo weren't like that...at all...) :)

Susie said...

Love Bacon's really miss it now!! Sounds like a great job to start of with your dad.

ginmommy said...

Jaime, in my sister's defense, she actually did work. We would goof off together, but seeing as I worked so few hours, it didn't amount to too much for her. HA!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

ha ha ha!! I loved bacons as well!!

Tracey said...

Your poor dad. ;) Um, put gum in the birthday letters? Ha! You and Jo working together would be serious trouble...