Monday, January 19, 2015

Whicky whacky house

Ever heard of this place?



Yeah, me either.

Well I mean I have now, but I never had before our visit.

And let me just say, I am completely unsure how to blog about this place. First of all, it's been like two weeks since our visit, and I have the WORST MEMORY EVER, and second, this place was WEIRD.



This dude named Alex Jordan, started to build this house in 1945, and worked on it until his death in 1989.  And this is where my mere explanation of this place will stop, because I simply CANNOT EXPLAIN THIS PLACE.


The new owners had over SIX THOUSAND Santa's in the place.


I mean I have no problem with the man in the red suit



But SIX THOUSAND? Yeah, it was on the verge of insanity.


The house was in sections, and to get to certain areas we had to go outside. This sign and view taunted me as we went outside in the 6 degree temperatures, and everything was DEAD.  Including my soul, as it slowly froze as I ran to the warmth.


The house is probably most famous for the infinity room.


This is a picture of a picture, but it's a room that juts out 218 feet without any supports underneath.



The kids begged me to go out there with them


And I did.

However, it was not pretty. Maybe it was the anxiety attack that thew my back out?


Once I had recovered from my brush with near death, I was once again traumatized. This time by rooms full of DOLLS.


THIS IS THE STUFF NIGHTMARES ARE MADE OF.


Like I said, I can't explain this house.


My favorite part of the house were the villages.


We walked though towns inside the house, and they were beautiful.



I could have stayed in this part all day.


I think Hope felt the same way too.




In the 2 1/2 hours in the house, we spent a majority of our time in the villages.



Pierce kept getting distracted by these, 'test your love thingies'



As you can see one of us is exotic.



But don't get too relaxed with the beauty and fun, because NIGHTMARES are just around the corner.


After miles of walking we finally had made it to the moment we had all been waiting on.



This house has the largest carousel in the the world.



When your camera has a prime lens you can't capture the magnitude of certain things.



This is a mere fraction of this carousel, and of this GIGANTIC room. Might be time to get a different lens, so I can capture some things better.


I may have not captured the images in the way I would have hoped, but I will never forget how much fun we had exploring that crazy house.

The evening ended with a great meal out, and back pain that nearly crippled me, but we'll just focus on the fun day exploring that whicky whacky house.


5 comments:

Susie said...

Sorry about your visit with the house!! I know it was nice being with the in-laws though!!

Hillary said...

Just WOW. That place was crazy!

Jami said...

Well that was different. It would have been neat to see that carousel. Hope looked in awe of it all.

Tracey said...

Some of it is gorgeous and some of it looks like it is right off of the Criminal Minds set. You got to do some really cool stuff in WI!!

Jaime Mac said...

I have many, MANY questions about this house & I really don't think you're gonna be able to answer them... Sigh...
but for one - why the HELL is there a ginormous carousel in a house?!