Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A mommy right of passage.

That would be the field trip.

From the moment of having kids, one of the things I looked forward to the most was going on field trips. I have fond memories of my mom going with me on field trips, and I was so excited to go with Pierce on his big one this year. We went to Kentucky Down Under. This is a really neat place, you get the chance to get so close to the animals, and SCORE for us, all of the other school's had to cancel. Normally they said there would be over 300 kids on that day, and it ended up just being our school's three kindergarten classes. This gave us more personal attention and not waiting in long lines, we were blessed!! Oh, one more thing...I was also looking forward to riding the bus with Pierce, and that's not allowed anymore?? WHA?? Silly rules.


Pierce was so excited for the day, and me being "with him all day."
Let me say, I have GREAT respect for teachers. How they kept this group of 22 kindergartners in line is beyond me. First thing was watching the Border Collies do their thing.
These dogs are amazing!!!
Some of the kids also had a chance to milk a cow. Funny.
(Tracey this is mainly for you) This is Abdullah. One of Pierce's good friends, and he was NOT happy about the animals, poor little guy.

Our field trip was actually last week and it was HOT that day, around 90. It felt good to be in this cave, at 60!!! This is a really neat cave (if you're into that sorta thing)They have a lorikeet feeding area. WOW!!! Half the kids were FREAKING out, I mean it is quite intimidating at first. They just come right after you, and I was surprised at how well Pierce handled it. :)
You see this? I didn't even have any of the nectar and one decided to hang out on my head, I almost screamed, but pulled it together for the sake of the children ;)
He thought he was the Crocodile Hunter, all "one" with the animals.
SO sweet.
Speaking of sweet. Pierce's best friend, Jennifer O., and first crush. :)
Kids saw me taking pics and decided they would pile up. I couldn't back all the way up, so I didn't get them all. I like the kid throwing gang signs or something? ;)
Like I said, we got up close and personal. Here they got to pet an Emu....
And the highlight for Pierce? Petting the kangaroo :)
The highlight for me? Pierce holding my hand. :)

The whole class. Graduating class of 2024. Isn't that amazing?? Fun day for Pierce, and for mommy!! :)

7 comments:

Jami said...

I wondered when this trip was, seeing we have entered into a second stage of winter and all. How sweet is that of Pierce, holding mommy's hand. Those birds brought back memories of being attached my geese at the zoo. Like I said, keep the picture, but he's totally graduating from CAI.

Susie said...

Glad you enjoyed the field trip. The memories will be priceless.I always enjoyed going on my children field trips. Hopefully I will get to go on some of the grandkids. I have gone on a few with the oldest grandson.

Jill said...

I can't wait to go on fieldtrips as a mommy either. Love, love, love that you took a pic of him holding your hand. ♥

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

So fun! We visited there last year! It's a neat place! I love the one of you two holding hands! Such a pic I would have taken too! :) I can't wait to go on field trips! It's fun parent thing to get to do!

pambush said...

I really do enjoy going to that place. Been a couple times. By the way - where was Hope?

Jaime Mac said...

I love u took a pic of pierce holding ur hand! (& way to be an adult & not running & screaming when the bird landed on u...). & I love u took a pic of that too!
Glad u & pierce had a fun day!

ginmommy said...

Pam, Hope went with daddy in the morning, then she had school, and a play date with Mya for a couple hours after school. Fun day for Hope as well :)