Sunday, September 9, 2012

This is how we roll in Keeeeen-tucky.

Saturday morning we were all up and excited for the day ahead. 

First of all there was another Oreos game, and second we had Neena and Papaw on the way to spend some time with us. 

I was ready to go cheer my boy on! And Pierce was ready to perform for his grandparents...


And just like THAT, the excitement in the Bush house, was squashed. Thanks to the rain that would not stop Saturday morning, we had a cancelled game and a crushed little fella on our hands. 

Little did he know at the time though, that his daddy had something up his sleeve that would make it all better. 


 Temporarily the only fix was watching out the window for Neena and Papaw. I remember looking out my window as a child too, just waiting to see my grandparents drive down the road. A universal kid thing, right?

Insert many squeals and delight at the arrival of one Neena, and one Papaw.

And I had decided once mom and dad got here, a few things must happen.

1) Show then how we roll in Keeeeeeen-tucky

2) Cook for them

3) Let them rest and play with the kids


So, let's start with #1....


How do we roll in Keeeeeen-tucky?

Okay, technically I cannot speak for all of Kentucky, and I certainly DO NOT fall in this category, but I'm married to a conservative, you wont take my guns from me kinda guy, and this is how he rolls....

Isn't this a sweet sight to my eyes.  The fruit of my womb holding a gun. Save me Lord Almighty.


All the cancelled games woes were officially forgotten. And let me say, he is good! His daddy has taught him well.



And if my son does grow up to be a gun toting man, just like his father, I'm glad he's learning from the best.


At this point, I wonder if my parents were thinking, 'Let's kidnap the grandchildren and run to Mexico.'


Because that thought, MAY have floated through my head a time or two...


So, I may not know anything about guns, but I'm glad the husband does. I find comfort in knowing he would drop the 'glass cutting' intruder that I'm always sure is out to get me, after watching 48 Hours.


As we were all sitting around watching the men grunt and feel powerful, I just casually mentioned to Hope, "you want to shoot?" just knowing she would say NO.....

Um, she said yes.


My little girl said yes.


And if SHE can say yes...


THEN so can I. 


I may have screamed a time or two in anticipation, but I did it, and I even hit the target. 


And as much fun as I was having being a God-fearing, gun toting momma, it was time to get home, so I could accomplish #2.

Cook for the parents.


There was a significant drop in the temps yesterday, so it was time for the first batch of chili of the season.


And grilled cheese, made with REAL butter, none of that margarine junk.  Use the real deal and it tastes soooo much better.

With #1 and #2 accomplished, there were only two things left.

Rest and play....

And indeed there was rest.



And games.


And a fashion show to boot....


Honestly.

I die from cuteness.



But as it seems with all good things, it was over as soon as it began.




Sadly the time slips away too quickly, and tears are always shed. But as always, I'm thankful for the time we had to be together.

8 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

Look at you two girls!! Shooting guns!! WOW! I am impressed! They scare me!

Jami said...

I love it that you shot a gun! Awesome! The chili looks fantastic!

Jessica said...

Love all the princesses :). I think the chili looks good too . You should share your recipe ! Glad they had a fun weekend. Nothing like having your grandparents there .

Jill said...

Always love your narrating, Gretchen! ;) Grilled cheese with real butter. . .um, yes please! :)

Brittany said...

Yeah, this KY girl and *her boys* haven't shot ANY guns ! ha:) Must be how Paul Bush rolls!!

Loved the weekend recap! Love your mom and dad! ;))

Susie said...

What a fun day!!

Tracey said...

#1. Pierce looks like a natural shooting. (Sorry!)

#2. Hope shooting...seriously adorable.

#3. Hope's pig tails? Presh!!

#4. So glad you had fun with the rents!!!

Jaime Mac said...

As always - you made me laugh. Those pics of you shooting the gun are a hoot!!!

Glad you got some quality time with the parents. And grilled cheese with real better IS the best...