Monday, August 6, 2012

Wilderness-"where one does not remain" BECAUSE YOU WILL DIE.

After being apart for 10 days, we decided a family day was in order.

My idea of a family day and Paul's idea, differ greatly. But I made the decision to just go with whatever Paul wanted to do, cause I'm spectacular like that. 

Paul for a long time has wanted to take us to the Red River Gorge, to see one of his loves. It's well established how I feel about the outdoors, but I wasn't going to be a killjoy this time, I'll save that for another date. This time, I said "let's roll homies!" 

So, we loaded up and headed to the wilderness. 



Here's an important factoid about traveling to the Gorge. IT'S A 3 HOUR DRIVE ONE WAY. 

We drove 6 hours in one Saturday for pete's sake. I said we should have just made a trip up to Michigan. Oy. But we made the most out of it, and acted a fool...

We are good at acting crazy.



My kids really do crack me up. 


So, after a mere 3 hours, we made it. We made it to the place that Paul loves so dearly. 

And it didn't take long for me to realize I was going to be a crazy lady. 

What a sweet melody to a mother's ears. 'A DANGEROUS PLACE.' 



And you know as if warnings of death by falling off a steep cliff isn't worrisome enough, then you realize you might be eaten or mauled. 


Everywhere I looked, there were sweet gentle reminders that I or my offspring might die in the midst of the wilderness. 


I was excited by those facts. 


Of course, I was beyond worried, but what you gonna do? 

I tell you what you do. You gripe in your husbands ear for half the hike, and lay down the ground rules, like he's actually listening. 

First stop was atop Chimney Rock, and let me just say...



It was gorgeous. A very hot summer day, and you get up that high and the breeze is awesome, and the views are legitimately spectacular. 

But check out those people on top of that rock. Yeah, it's called rock climbing, right? Well, I think they were dropped on their heads as infants, cause that's just plain crazy. 



We were at least surrounded by barriers. 


Can you imagine the view in the fall? All the colors would be beautiful. 


Pierce was impressed, and I'm betting he will follow in his daddy's footsteps in this department. 



His daddy who loves this kind of stuff.


And feels right at home here. 



His adventurous spirit started to rub off, and I got all cray cray, and  stood on a rock. 


And just as I started to feel the slightest bit of adventure surge through my veins, I would see reminders of others who lost their lives. This is serious stuff. 


Once we were finished at Chimney Rock, we set out for The Princess Arch, which excited Hope to no end! 


These kids are tough stuff, or I'm just a wimp? Because the sweat was rolling, and we walked and walked and walked...



There were mountains to climb and obstacles to go over, and not nary a complaint. 


At least no complaints from the ones 4 feet and under. I on the other hand did require assistance...


And the ick factor was beginning to set in. 


But I kept it to myself,  because I was determined to be pleasant. 

And here it is! The Princess Arch! Pretty awesome how God constructs everything.


Once we made it up, we meandered all around. 


There was much to discover.


And at times I would see Paul wanting to get his own adventure on. 



But he had a job on his hands. Instructing and taking care of me the kids. 

But I swear these two hold their own. 



They were determined. 

And kept pushing on.



One of the last places were were set on reaching was a river. There were tons of slippery rocks and mud, which was uber thrilling. 


But it provided much needed refreshment for this poor guy, who had to CARRY HIS WIFE ACROSS THE MUD. 



And a cute photo op for momma. 


Not gonna lie, by this point I was over it. 

But the only way out was climbing our way back.







Thank goodness we were nearing the end, because we were all feeling beat. The last thing on the agenda was to go see some of the historic stuff, like this house built in 1900. 


Someone left some of their trash in a bin on the porch and Hope quite excitedly told me, "look momma, food that they ate in 1900 is still here!!" Ha! 


So, that was it. Close to 8 hours later and we were about to make the 3 hour trip back. UNTIL. 

Until Paul made a turn and said, "let's take this thing up to The Natural Bridge!" 


Well, allrighty then, let's do it. 


We were on a tight schedule at this point, and had to hurry it up or they would have apparently left us atop that rock all night. So, Pierce and Paul hoofed it to get some pictures of The Natural Bridge. 



Hope and I stayed on top while they were down here seeing it from underneath. 


Atop the Natural Bridge. Okay, I'm over it, now let's go home. 



But I failed to mention, THIS SCARED ME TO DEATH. The slow ride to the top just gave me enough time to imagine the cable breaking and us falling to the ground. I drove Hope crazy on the way up, and she refused to ride back down with me. 


Thankfully Pierce had patience with his "scaredy cat" mom. 


And as we were headed out, I saw this sign and couldn't agree more....

Wilderness-"an area where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain." They just need to make a slight amendment and add, BECAUSE YOU WILL DIE. 

And with that, it was finally a day, and an overall fun family day at that. I may complain, I may be dramatic, but don't let me fool you, I did enjoy it. 

 Thank you husband for forcing me into adventure, and putting up with my dramatic, sarcastic ways. 

7 comments:

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Bears? Headstones where people fell to their deaths? FML.

And also, if I die somewhere in the wilderness, please do more for me than sticking a patriotic plastic pinwheel there. Thank you.

Jaime Mac said...

Oh my word - I DO love your wilderness posts! Always hilarious! And can I just point out that in the first pic Rico looks WAY more thrilled to be at 'a Dangerous place' than he did when you came home from Indiana? Just sayin'... ;)

Jami said...

Love it!!! I just love that you and Paul are complete opposites. It really does look like a great day!

Susie said...

Love the funny post!! I don't blame you on the adventurous trails!! I would be the same way. Making family memories is the most important thing, right!!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

I would be scared too! I don't blame you one bit! I do love your wilderness posts! Fun time! I want to camp there!

Jamie said...

My favorite line was how you got adventurous and stood on a rock.

This was great!

Kerry said...

These pictures are AMAZING!! I love it, it looks awesome there. However, a little too scary for me lol, your husband is a little too close to that edge for my liking haha. Oh I am not much of an outdoors girl myself, I'd be wondering what was in those caves before I sat down and thinking a Black Bear was just waiting for the right moment to take me!!
But such a beautiful day out for you all, what gorgeous scenery!!