Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Boy crazy.

It's time to go back to when I was chubby, had acne, and really bad hair. No, not last month. This time we are going way back! Remember girls? We would squeal with delight, and write our names with theirs, and dream of the days we would be swept off our feet? Okay, maybe it actually was last month.

When I was thinking about this blog off topic, I had to think for a while about who was my first crush (other than Joey Price in kindergarten) and for me it actually started before acne. It was around 1982. You would have seen me rocking the Dorothy Hamil haircut, wearing little earrings so no one would mistake me for a boy, and spending the night with my best friend Melissa Detrick. Without fail every Friday night, we would watch The Dukes of Hazzard, and that's when the boy crazy madness began.



Melissa actually had stickers of Bo and Luke Duke on her headboard. We would kiss them before we went to sleep every night, and pretend they were our husbands. Of course Melissa and I would fight over who got Bo and who got Luke, but I always won Bo in my mind.
Fast forward a couple years, 1984. I was actually at Joey Price's house, remember kindergarten crush?? Anyways, he said we were going to watch a movie called Karate Kid. I vividly remember thinking, "this is going to be awful" but once I saw Ralph Macchio, I suddenly took a big interest. Loved the movie. Loved him.
Let's keep jumping forward in two year increments, now it's 1986. I went with my parents to see a movie called Back To The Future, and fell hard for a short little cutie patootie, named Michael J. Fox. I cannot begin to tell you how many times me and my friends rented that bad boy on VHS, and I would dream for him!! By this time I would have been around 12, and the boys craziness was only escalating. Along with braces, acne and perms with frosting.
I gotta throw another one in here as well. (That's the great thing about young girls, our limit on crushes I do believe can be endless.) In my family we were really big on two shows growing up, The Waltons, and Little House on the Prairie. Well, the Waltons didn't offer up any cute boys at all, (unless Johnboy did it for you, and I apologize then) but do you remember when Jason Bateman was on Little House? I thought he was cute when he was on that, then fast forward to 1986 and he was on a show called Valarie's Family. Anyone other than me remember that one?
Now were hitting circa 1990, still have the bad perm, but the braces were at least gone. In my attempts to be athletic I started playing tennis, and even took it to a whole new level by watching the sport! Boy was I in for a treat when Mr. Andre Agassi took the courts. I was super crazy about Andre, and I in fact had his posters all over my walls. I wonder how devastated I would have been had I known then he was in fact bald, and wearing a wig!!


Part of the blog off was to also discuss crushes we currently have going on. Another thing about us girls, is we never seem to outgrow crushes, do we?

One of my few crushes that has lasted through the years, is Jason Bateman. Come on, he's just cute.
This crush right here is strictly for Edward, not for Robert Pattinson.

Holla!! I actually didn't like good ol' Donnie Wahlberg back in the day, you know my alliances were somewhere else. More on that in a minute.
I appreciate Brad Pitt in certain looks and movies. Legends of the Fall, and Thelma and Louise, those are winners! However, many times he just looks plum crazy, especially with that nasty Angelina Jolie!Seriously. There's nothing else to say.
BUT anyone who knows me at all, knows there's been one boy that has been mine since 1986. We met via MTV, and it's been a love affair for the ages. Mainly one sided, but still, epic.
Isn't it good to know that some couples can survive, mullets, perms, acne, braces, and 25 plus years worth of bad fashion choices? That's us, giving hope to others since 1986.
I must confess one more though.......


Crazy for Rico since 2001.

7 comments:

Jaime Mac said...

OMG you're hilarious! You really went ALL OUT!!!! I love it! I also loved Bo Duke. Ahhhh...
I remember Valerie's family!!! And I too love Edward...I totally forgot about him. Shame on me!
UHMMMMM...I laughed...out loud...at my desk at the picture of Rico. You're a nut! ;)
Thanks for playing along!

April said...

Wow! Pictures and everything. Good job!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

Nice work!!! Love the one of Rico!!!

Jami said...

Awww... You are one sweet wifey for putting Rico, or as Cooper would say Big Bad Paul on there. I totally forgot Jason Bateman was in Valerie's family. Was that the one they killed her off and renamed Hogan's family? I love it he made a come back, he's super funny now! LOVE the picture of Edward.... Major hotness!

Susie said...

Great job on the post!!

Tracey said...

I was always a Luke Duke kind of gal!! ;)

Jason Bateman...HOTNESS. Even better with age. LOVE HIM!

Edward. Swoon. (Yes, I stole this from Jaime Mac)

You crack me up with Jon. I love how devoted you are to him. ;)

Jill said...

Loved.this.post!!! And I loved the pic of Edward! ♥ I loved Bo Duke, too. And Ralph Macchio, and so crazy, but Patrick Swayze from Dirty Dancing. :)