Wednesday, November 9, 2011

It was like an episode of Wild Kingdom.

On Tuesday my kids were out of school for election day, and I had no real plans for the day. With the lovely time change we just had, Pierce had me out of bed before 6:30, which was actually much better than the 5:40 wake up the day before. Seriously, who invented the time change? They must have not had children. Anyways, I'm sitting on the couch, drinking coffee trying to wake my pretty morning self up, and I get a text alert...

Brittany: "Hey, would you be up to going to the Louisville Zoo today? My sister in law is going and said I should come up, and I thought it might be fun if we rode up together."

And with that a plan was born.

I went into get my people there with me mode, but everyone already had commitments. Sad. It was weird to be in LOUISVILLE and not see anyone, but I waved and blew kisses to each and every one of you!!!!


Here was our excited little group. On the far left is Maddie (I hope I spelled that correctly!!) she belongs to Brittany's sister in law and brother, who live right in St. Matthews. Then we have Luke and Layton and of course my two offspring. This picture was taken right as the lions were roaring up a storm. It's amazing just how loud and far a lion's roar actually carries. Those two lions faced all of us gawkers and bellowed out some serious noise. I said, I know they are telling us, "I could so kill and eat you in a second, just remember that."
The weather was lovely, and the trees were just gorgeous!
There was lots of questions, gazing, and sweet moments to capture.
However the biggest hit for the kids? The wagon!
Brittany and I joked, we should have just stayed home went to a park and let them pull each other around.
We had lots of opportunities to catch some cute moments.
But I was surprised at how much Pierce and Hope wanted me to take pictures of EVERY-THING.
Mommy, take one of the giraffes..
Mommy, take one of the rhinos.....
Finally, I just handed the camera over to Pierce and Hope, and let them have at it.

Then you get home and find pictures where you realize your hind end resembles a pancake.
Or that you are in serious need of dental work.
Sigh.

But the highlight of the zoo trip for me, and I would say the rest of us, were the grizzly bears. I hadn't been to the Louisville Zoo for probably a year and half, and this exhibit was new. We come walking up and lo and behold I was smack dab in an episode of, 'Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom' (a show we used to always watch when I was a kid) These bears were amazing! The entire time we were there, they were playing and acting like juveniles!

Chasing each other...
Round and round they would go!
Then get in the water and just wrestle their little bear hearts out.
Pierce and Layton were besides themselves with excitement. And I gotta say, it was really, really neat to see. :)
After a full day of fun, and getting up while the stars were still shining, we had some pooped out babes.
Fun day!!!

8 comments:

Brittany said...

ok, laughing so hard at the pics of our butt and teeth. seriously, TOOOOOOOOO funny!!!!!!!!!!!

great day with the wild kiddos, ahem, i mean wild animals!

Brittany said...

your butt and teeth...

not ours.

that could be weird.

Jami said...

I am bummed I couldn't make it. Looks fun, we haven't been there since early Spring so we haven't seen the new exhbit either. Looks cool!

Tracey said...

Very cute pics! :) I wish I could have been there too. I'm loving your butt and teeth pics too! Very...special. ;)

Arthur Family said...

Lovely butt pic! Looks like you had so much fun!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

butt and teeth! butt and teeth!! hilarious!!! :)

Jill said...

We had plans to go to the zoo with friends on Tuesday, but then the sickies came to visit! Looks like it was a GREAT trip and I so love all the crazy pics of you! :)

Susie said...

It was a nice day on Tuesday!! Glad to see that you got to enjoy the day of at the zoo!!