Thursday, November 10, 2011

Let the festivities begin!!

I might be giving the Queen a run for her money this year with lengthy birthday celebrations. My birthday is not for another week, but the festivities have already begun, and I am going to milk every last birthday minute of it too.

I don't get sappy too often, but I just have to today. Brace yourselves. The women that wanted to celebrate my birthday are 'new' friends. Last year I didn't even know them. Last year, I was probably sitting at home sucking my thumb on my birthday, singing old country songs and drowning my sorrows in brownies. My bestest friends and family were home, and I felt like I had no where to belong. Yet in the midst of my pitiful state God has blessed me yet again. A woman who deserves no blessings, has been given the gift of more friends.


Brittany, Maru and Laurie.
And then Liz came too.
I only wish I could have my Indiana girls here to meet my BG friends. Surely, that will work out one day!!
What have I learned in the last year of my life? In the midst of your darkest times, the Lord may give you the most bizarre answer. Uh, hullo, move to BG? You may feel as the blessing is partly a curse. You might worry that your friends will move on without you at home, and that you will never meet anyone who likes you. You might revert to junior highish feelings at the age of 36. And you might even worry that your friends will be upset at the idea of you making new friends. You will might feel guilty for leaving your family and be torn up all the time at the thought of them being upset. You may question your sanity a few times in the process as well.

Okay, so I actually did feel all those feelings.

Here I am though. Meeting new people who like me, and making a life in a strange to me place. Treasuring the old and the new.
And holding onto 36 with all I got!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Granny G said...

Celebrate away girl!!! I celebrated my 21st for 3 months...seriously! My family still teases me about it!!! I am sooo glad you have BG friends now!!! :)

Granny G said...

oh, that was alicia. granny g is my mom and i'm on her computer.

Jaime Mac said...

I am glad you're making friends in BG. And I know your friends in IN & I know they would never be upset that you're making new friends. I'm glad you're not sucking your thumb this year! :). (thanks new friends in BG!)

Susie said...

Glad to see that you made some good friends in BG!! I am sure by sound of it you make it easy to be someones friend!!

Jami said...

I love it!!! Everyone should celebrate their birthday with their friends! I hope I get a chane to meet your Bowlin Green friends one day. Cute shirt!

Tracey said...

Take it from your bestie back home...I am so glad you have met GOOD people there! How can we be upset that you are making friends? Ain't gonna happen! ;)

Two things I know for sure.
1. Your move to BG was not a curse, but a blessing in your deepest time of need.

2. I love you and you will always be my BFF. No matter what, you are stuck with me. Even if you move to Africa and rock babies, you will be part of my heart. Won't change.

Oh, and very good picture of you and Brittany! I still love her hair! :)

Jill said...

Aww, great post! Happy early Birthday to you! :)