Thursday, February 16, 2012

Raising a man


When I had Pierce, I was so excited about having a baby. You know, just the idea of a baby of my own. Then, I remember one day it just kind of dawned on me, holy moly,  I didn't just have a baby, I had a human being, that I've got to raise right. Paul and I were responsible for not just raising a baby, but a man. 

And this last year, Pierce has changed so much. Still a boy, of course. But changing, none the less. Hard for this momma to let go in little bits, but also encouraging to watch him blossom. He's handled situations at school with such maturity, that we can't help but burst a couple buttons. 

And thank the good Lord above for Paul. He helps me every step of the way with letting go. If it were up to me, Pierce would still be on a bottle, and I'd rock him every night.

I kid.

Sort of.

Pierce picked out his fancy pants and belt for school today, and was showing off his new shoes that daddy bought for him, and I just had a moment. I'm fully aware, I'm usually having a moment, but I can't help myself. I love the Lord, I love my husband, and by golly I love my kids. 


7 comments:

Brittany said...

That boy is special:) He is blessed to have such wonderful God fearing parents as you and Paul.

Jami said...

It's hard to believe that's the same little chubby check boy I met more than 6 years ago who would not leave his Momma's lap. If there is anything miss more than you it's watching those two precious children grow.

Jessica said...

Such a sweet smile he has.

Susie said...

What a cute young man!!!

Jill said...

What a sweet post! He is a cutie!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

he is so handsome! daniel has to help me along too. i would be rocking them and giving them bottles too. ha!

Kerry said...

You have two gorgeous kiddos there Gretchen!! You should be popping all your buttons lol
Isn't it scary sometimes being responsible for how these little beings turn out? :)