Wednesday, May 2, 2012

1962.

We all have very important years, that change our life.  For me? 2001, accepted Christ. 2002, married. 2004 first child was born. 2007 second child was born. Those are some of the biggies, right? But 1962 is significant for our family as well. 
     
Few facts about 1962...

 The average cost of a house was 12,500.00

The average income was 5,556.00

The average cost of a car was 3,125.00

Gas per gallon, .28


And in 1962, a young, fresh faced couple were heading out to the prom. Do you think this couple had any idea the significance of that prom, or how their lives would unfold over the next 50 years?




Do you think they pictured all these faces in their future?

In 1962, do you think they had visions of celebrating a 50 year reunion with their classmates?

 And while celebrating with all their friends...

Do you think they imagined that their grandson would be celebrating his first prom?

While my parents were celebrating their 50th class reunion this weekend, and my nephew was heading out to his first prom, I couldn't help but see the great circle of life. My nephew has his young life ahead of him, just as my parents did. And I'm sure to them, that it seems like just yesterday that they were in Cody's shoes.

The years go fast, and I'm thankful for all the significant years tucked into our existence.


1962.

12 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

cool post! Congrats!

Jami said...

How sweet! Your mom was beautiful! Don't somewhat envy your parents, growing up in such a simpler time?

Susie said...

Sweet post!!

Granny G said...

Awesome!!! I did not know your parents graduated from Salem. Go Lions! LOL What are their names?

Jessica said...

I think that is so cool. 50 years together...quite a big deal!!

ginmommy said...

Hey Granny G, their names are John and Terry Robinson. He went by J.K. in school and my mom's maiden name was Banks. Did you go to Salem too??

Kerry said...

Sweet post, great memories for you!

Granny G said...

Yes, I did, but I graduated in 1969 which is a lifetime away from 1962. I would have only been about 10 or 11 years old when they graduated. Still it is a small world, isn't it?

Angie said...

Beautiful post!
The circle of life really is a beautiful thing. Sometimes sad but definitely beautiful.

Jill said...

Great post, Gretchen! My mom went to Salem High School! I think she graduated in 1966? Maybe?! Small world. ;)

Tracey said...

Gorge pic of your parents! :))) Really awesome post!

Jaime Mac said...

What a sweet post! Love the last one of them looking at each other!
You're such a sap... ;)