Monday, May 7, 2012

Third wheel fun.

Sometimes the best weekends, are the ones with unexpected fun thrown in..... 

With Paul away being a manly man with his friends (which I am expected to blog) our weekend looked pretty low key. 

Maybe a play date or two, swimming, bike riding, and maybe get really wild and visit McDonald's twice in one day. JUST WILD.

And we did start off with some play time with our buddies.


These kids play so well together.
Which of course, Brittany and I enjoy because we can sit and talk while the kids have fun.

And during said conversation time, is when the weekend took an unexpected U turn. 

Brittany: "I'm bummed we didn't go to my parents today. I really don't want to go to the Derby party tonight."

G: "Well, you shouldn't have agreed to go." (I'm sweet and compassionate like that)

B: "Well, it sounded good in theory, but now I don't want to go."

G: "I would love for Paul and I to go to a shindig like that! Go and have fun!"

B: "WAIT A MINUTE. Why don't you go with us?"

G: "Uh, no."

B: "Come on, it would be fun!"

G: "Uh, no."

And thus began a good 20 minute debate between B and G.

Biggest reasons I didn't want to go? Being the third wheel. Not knowing anyone. And nothing to wear. 



But Brittany is a persuasive soul, and just like that I was headed to a party with a giant corsage on my head.



I was actually kind of nervous to go.
But Brittany assured me, it would be fine for me to go.

And it was so nice to recognize a face right when we got there!


And right away the posing began.
It was madness.


Like prom for the 30 somethings...


And everywhere I looked people were all fancy-fied.
Lots of big ol' hats.
And fancy dresses.
And hardly a face I knew.

But would that stop me from enjoying myself?


Nah.

Throw yourself in, I say!


Mingle.

Participate.
And let loose.

Watch the race that you have NO clue about.
And celebrate with your friends who actually WON!


And let Brittany take your camera for the night.



So you can end up with pictures like these...








Thankful I decided to be the third wheel after all.











7 comments:

Brittany said...

Dear goodness - this is funny and I was there!!! ha! Glad you tagged along, it wouldn't have been as fun without you - trust me. Thanks for putting a flower on your head and going with me!

Third wheel. Fun Wheel.

p.s Blake was the third wheel....it was me and you - baby!

Tracey said...

I'm so glad you decided to go!!! Fun stuff:)) Your hair flowers are ridiculously cute!!! You gnawing on a chicken wing = hilarious!

Jaime Mac said...

Oh my word - this was funny stuff! I love the 'corsage' on your head. I thought it looked somewhat like a dead bird........ :)
Glad you had fun & thanks for sharing those uber cute pics of you at the end!

Jami said...

This looks like a blast! I do love the hair pieces. Way to turn a borning Saturday into something fun.

I agree with Britt- Blake was the third wheel.

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

LOVE those hair pieces! Too cute! Funny, funny stuff!!

Susie said...

Love the hair piece!! Glad to see you got to enjoy yourself after all!!

melanie said...

beautiful gretchen! You always have something to wear. :)