Sunday, May 20, 2012

Some requirements for when one camps.

Ohhhh camping. You know how I feel about you. But in this house, 3 out of 4 Bush's find it pleasurable and fun, so who am I to poo on the parade?

Now if I could camp in something like THIS, I think I might enjoy it a little more. But since I cannot, I have come to the conclusion, that there are a few requirements in order to make it more tolerable. 

Requirement A.


A tent the size of our first house.

As far as a tent is concerned, this is a nice one. You can stand straight up, and room for our big blow up mattress, and kids can spread out.
And when you are laying down and look up and see this, you can't help but think it's nice. At least for a tent.

Requirement B.


A master chef who also doubles as camping guide/know it all. 


If it weren't for Rico, there is NO WAY I WOULD EVER ATTEMPT TO CAMP. E-VER.
He may drive me a little batty at times, barking out his orders, but he does know what he's doing.


I never had to cook a single time, how awesome is that? 

And he's always teaching the kids valuable lessons on how to do things themselves. 

And since he's one with the earth, he always notices the wildlife, and even picks it up.  Blech.
You see this right here? I just ignored it, but he sniffed it out a mile away, and he knew that meant deer were around.
And from like 6,000 miles away, he spotted three.
I thought he was pulling our legs, but sure enough there they were!



Look at how close the kids actually got! They were THRILLED.


And then he spotted turkey!! My little city brain, is oblivious to it, but thankfully the kids have a dad who just sees it. They were so excited!
Having a camping guide/know it all, means he will take you to see quaint things.

And he takes the wife to see things she likes...
And buys her a cute mug and keeps it filled with coffee to keep her mood stable.
And Mr. Guide, understands my box fan addiction and brings it along.
And when we find out it's not an electric site, he goes and buys me a battery operated fan.  For these reasons, I heart,  Mr. master chef who also doubles as camping guide/know it all.

Requirement C.

Attempt to take beautiful pics.

Even if it is with your point and shoot.
There really isn't anything quite like being outdoors for the sunset.
Or the sunrise. It's beautiful.


Requirement D.

Makeup and accessories are still required.


We might be dirty. We might smell of smoke and ash. But that does not mean, that we can't still be girly girls.
And never, ever, ever, is there a reason to leave your hoop earrings at home.


Requirement D.


Do something that you would never normally do. 


You see what that sign says? MAMMOTH CAVE ADVENTURES.
All of a sudden I was contemplating doing something, I would never normally do.
The outdoor air, must have made me lose my mind, because I agreed to do a zip line.
Oh yes. I did.
The kids were slightly freaked out. AS WAS I.
And as I stood up there, I contemplated who might come to my funeral and who might cry the hardest.
But I survived. Will I ever do it again? Probably not. But I'm glad I did it. The kids were excited for me, and I think it shocked Paul. HECK, IT SURPRISED ME.

Requirement E.


Have a fire.

Next to the animals sightings, I would say this was the major highlight.


S'mores are the best!!! And sitting around a fire with your kids, letting them stay up later than normal, giggling, well, it's just an awesome family time.

Requirement F.


Take lots of pictures so you will never forget the sweet family memories you made. 




So, I might not be the biggest camping fan on the earth. But I cannot deny how much the kids love it, nor can I deny the fact that I love making these sweet memories with them....







Last requirement?

SUCK IT UP AND GO. 

11 comments:

Jaime Mac said...

Oh my - loved this post for sooo many reasons! I'm glad you all had a good time.
My favorite requirement is the one that says you can carry the essentials of make up & earrings!
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ZIP LINNED! Oh my gosh! I would totally come to your funeral when JLL & Tracey let me know you were dead. :)

Susie said...

What a great post of you all making memories. I dn't blame you on having a real camper but the one tent that you had was nice. That was so great that Paul did all that for you.I can't believed that you ziplined.

Jami said...

You are a good mommy for doing this, and lots of great memories. That is as awesome tent. You're totally right about needing the right person to camp with, and Paul is a great person to camp with.

Angie said...

We went camping this weekend too! I unlike you actually adore camping though. Weird, huh? Isn't ziplining the greatest rush ever? My daughter and I done it a few years back. I cried the whole trip up the mountain but once I actually done it I loved it. I would so do it again!!! Looks like you all had a blast. What a tropper you are. FYI- I take a fan and hoops too LOL!!

Cindy said...

I have always wanted to zipline!!!! Awesome memories for sure! I keep saying when Ella gets older we can start doing these kind of things again. We'll see

Kerry said...

So it looks like they were tired after the adventurous camping trip! And you brave brave woman ziplining like that!!
Looks like a fun time though, but I am so with you on the whole comfort thing and I don't do insects, reptiles or things that jump, or run faster than me :)
Yep give me the RV please!

Tracey said...

Do you reeeeally have to wonder who would cry hardest? ;)

I'm so glad you had a good time. I cannot believe you did the zip line, but I'm really glad you tried it...and didn't die. :) Paul and camping go together just like you and a hoop earring.

Arthur Family said...

You.are.awesome. What a great family memory!

melanie said...

As my poison ivy is really itchy right now, I don't think I could make it on a family camping trip.

I love the stories Matt comes home with about Paul and their camping

Jill said...

I love this! You are one awesome momma and I LOVED that you rocked the hoop earrings while you went camping! ;)

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

AWESOME POST!!! So glad you had a good time!!! It does make great memories with your family!!! Nothing to do but hang out and play!! LOVE IT!! You just might want to go again and again. Ok, maybe not but it's worth a try!