Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The lake doesn't just breed diseases. It also breeds fun.

On Memorial Day, we were invited to Grand Rivers, Kentucky to join Blake and Brittany's family for some lake fun. 

Now I gotta be honest. Lakes freak me out. What doesn't freak me out, right? But for reals, I think lakes are scary! You can't see what's under your feet, or how deep it goes, and you just know some freaky diseases are brewing in there, along with some crazy river monsters. BUT, I don't let my fears stop us from doing stuff, because if I did, we'd sit indoors all day, and suck our thumbs. 

After a two hour drive, they were itching to get out there. 


We were geared up and ready to go. 


Personally my favorite part is the boat ride, and I think the kids felt the same way!



We were all warm, enjoying the sun on our faces, and content on the boat.


Or maybe that was just me? Because it didn't take long, and one by one they all left me.




Isn't anyone going to stay on the boat with me??


YES! Me and my eating buddy were perfectly content staying on the boat, downing our graham cracker sticks, and Chex Mix. AIN'T NO REASON TO GET IN THAT LAKE WATER.



Except for the fact that I was YELLED AT, the entire time, and then physically threatened. I knew I had two choices. 1) Get in on my own 2) Be manhandled into that lake. So, I did what any woman of 38 years would do. I put on a life jacket, like one of the children, and got in, screaming and kicking the entire way. 


Paul kept telling me to not wear a life jacket, but I didn't listen. 



Within a couple minutes I understood why he said that, then I screamed to get it off. Who's dramatic?



I am happy to report though, that I did survive my lake experience, and I may have even had fun. Turns out being scared of everything for no reason, is just a personality flaw I don't need after all. WHO KNEW!

So, look at Paul behind us....

Known the man for 12 years now, and I had no idea he could water ski so well.




Color me impressed.


I really did have a great time on the lake, no joke. But after the lake we took the kids to the local pool, where I must admit I'm slightly more comfortable.



There's a super fun slide there, that the kids must have gone up and down a few hundred times or so.

And I being the irrational, overprotective mother I am, make Hope wear a life jacket and or floaties, the entire time.

We have been working with her from time to time on swimming, but not enough. So with a shove nudge from Brittany, I decided to really let her do it.
And just like that, she had the concept down.



Swimming like a little fish!! 




Just like training wheels I guess. You have to take them off to learn, and with adults by their side, they not only get it, they flourish.  And next thing you know they are JUMPING into the pool!!


I'm really excited for her.

I still remember the feelings I had when I learned to swim, and what fun those days were.



And Mr. big stuff, at only 4 swimming like a champ, may have been the nudge she needed. And Lukey  bear, holding his own at only 2!!





You know what I know? Besides that face that I'm dramatic, and scared of just about everything?

I know I'm thankful.


Thankful for the summer.

And thankful for the memories we are making. 

9 comments:

Susie said...

Sounds like a fun time!! I don't blame you about lakes though!!

Tracey said...

Very cool pics! I'm glad you were able to go and have fun :)) And, I KNEW PAUL COULD SKI!!!! He went skiing on our boat years ago, with his wetsuit on! Ha!! Memories...:)

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

Fun stuff! I like Hope's suit. Nora has the same one! :)

Angie said...

Awesome pics!!! I love boating but I'm not much for swimming in the lake either. I definitely prefer the pool. My kiddos could care less though, they just love water. Kudos to Paul, skiing is hard. MY hubby can do it but I can't even get up!!!

Cindy said...

Love all the pics! You are becoming quite the adventurous one lately. FUN STUFF!

Jami said...

You're so funny! Good to see you letting go. And look at Hope! Who needs swimming lessons!

Arthur Family said...

Wow. You went swimming in a lake! Awesome pics! So glad that you all got to have some good fun!

Jaime Mac said...

UHM-YES the lake is creepy! It has bugs & fish & sticks & leaves & God knows whatever else! I only get in the lake when it's 9 billion degrees & I need to cool off! I'd totally stay in the boat & eat snacks with you.
Glad you let yourself go & had FUN!!! :)
YAY for Hope! She's getting sooo big!

Jill said...

Lakes creep me out, too. BUT glad you let go of your fears. Way to go, Hope! :)