Sunday, May 13, 2012

Time to give some appreciation.

I always wanted to be a mom. 

Never, ever, was there a doubt.

But many times, when you dream about something your whole life, you are in for a rude awakening when it finally happens. I would say that was definitely the case for me. And then it dawned on me, "holy cow, THIS is what my mom did?!" 

And that she did. 3 times over. 
 5 pregnancies, and 3 children she raised. Sleepless nights. (Especially from the youngest of the family. Sorry about that) Terrible two's. And terrible teens. Teenage angst. Nightmares. Illness. Friend Woes, and children who would disappear in The Fashion Shop. Birthday's and holiday's, and always wanting the latest. Young love, and divorce, the mountain tops and valleys that were so dark.
 I appreciate you mom. I appreciate your hard work, and for not losing your ever loving mind when I would fix my hair taller than the Empire State Building. I appreciate you, because I get it now.
 And my sister.

I appreciate you raising your boys, under difficult circumstance. Facing the teenage years are hard enough, but tired and weary? I honestly can't imagine how you do it. So, I tip my hat off to you, Jo, and I sincerely appreciate you.
 And my mother in law.
 Thank you for raising a Godly son. Thank you for following God's calling, even when it took you away from your own family into a foreign place. Thank you for coming to live with me, and helping me get through the darkest days I had ever known. I appreciate you.
 And my own children.

The dream I always wanted. Dang, it's crazy hard, but I cannot imagine another life. For all the times, I want to tip a drink back, before 10 a.m., I'm sorry. I'm sorry because so many women would give their right arm up for children. Many women would give up their own life, for two healthy children. So, as selfish as I can be at times, from the bottom of my heart, I appreciate you two.

10 comments:

Jaime Mac said...

Dang you get so sappy sometimes. :). Sweet (& yet funny...) post.
And that pic of a young Rico looks just.like.pierce. Oh my word...

Susie said...

I agree with Jaime. That picture did look like Pierce!! Great dedication post!!

Angie said...

Happy Mother's Day Dear Friend!!!!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

Well put!

Jami said...

Beautiful!

Could Pierce look anymore like his father? My oh my!

Your kids are luck to have you as their mommy!

Tracey said...

What a sweet post! I TOTALLY appreciate my mom a lot more these days. ;) Great pics! Love your little cuties!!!!

Jessica said...

Sweet! Your kids are lucky to have you as Mom!

Jill said...

GREAT post, Gretchen! Happy Mother's Day!

the lewis gang said...

beautiful. happy mother's day!

melanie said...

aww...God shows His goodness to us in so many ways, and most definentally through our moms