Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Separation anxiety at 5?

With yesterday being Hope's actual birthday, we did a few out of the ordinary things.

Normally she does not receive gifts all day long...


 Package from Meemaw and Grandpa brought mucho excitement.

 And a gift from Liz and Lily Grace= ton o' fun!
 And a singing skype message from Meemaw and Grandpa too!!
 And THEN even more gifts! She was like a rock star yesterday!
 I made her one of her favorite meals
 And check this...

We took her to Cracker Barrel, and told them it was her birthday. She had ZERO clue that they would sing to her, and the look on her face was PRICELESS.
 Completely taken off guard
 And utterly embarrassed.
 But that embarrassment didn't stop her from enjoying that ice cream!
 But let me change gears here for a minute.

Hope has always LOVED school, I mean really loved it. I never had to worry about her fighting me, or giving me fits. But that is all past tense.

She started about 4 weeks ago saying "my stomach hurts" every time it was time for school, and it has slowly progressed into this
 Crying every time it's time to leave for school. Telling me, "I miss you when I'm at school, I don't want to go. I want to stay with you."
 Then I pick her up from school and she's happy as a lark.
I've never heard of separation anxiety this old. Any advice out there? You think maybe she's just anticipating leaving me for kindergarten?

9 comments:

Susie said...

That is to cute at the Cracker Barrel!! As for her not wanting to go to school all of a sudden could be several things.One thing is she knows she will have fun at home.Maybe it may be getting more work for her at school to prepare for Kindergarten and it makes her tired.Good Luck with whatever it is.

Arthur Family said...

We had the same issue at five. She didn't go to school, but going to Sunday school or anywhere else was hard. I found that keeping her routine as consistent as possible helped. It's just another phase of being a little girl. You will make it!

Granny G said...

Yes, I have! LOL Alicia threw a fit everyday when I took her to kindergarten, it was a half day and she squalled and squalled and was happy as could be after she got in her class and I was gone. Thankfully, her Dad worked close to home and he started taking her. When he would pull up to the school, she would jump out, wave and run in! hahahaha! It was okay I guess to leave me at home!

Jami said...

Poor thing! I agree, I think she knows kindergarten is coming up and might be getting a little scared.

Kerry said...

Hope's face in those pics says it all doesn't it! Excitement, embarrassment, she looks so happy though and that ice-cream looks yum!
I think she looks so much like you btw :)
I am sure she will grow out of this little phase of separation anxiety. Most kids her age go through it at some point, but once she makes friends and starts to like learning new things, I am sure she will be fine :)
Breaks your heart though right?

Angie said...

Looks like Miss Hope had a great day! I love her face at Cracker Barrel, too cute!

My poor daughter had seperation anxiety until 5th grade. She went two years of headstart with no problems but when she started kindergarten the tears started rolling. She would cry everyday for the 1st part of the school year and then she would do okay after that. It never failed after summer break every year and it was time to go back, the tears would start again. It's hearbreaking, I feel your pain.

Tracey said...

I'd say sell her and start over! ;)

I love Granny G's advice: Make Paul do it!! :) Ha! I'm sure that this will pass, but in the mean time, it super super stinks! :( Poor Hope and Momma. Hang in there. You are a GREAT Mom!!

Jaime Mac said...

LOVE all the pics of Hope & her HAPPY birthday!

Here's my advice (since I know everything about 5 year olds)
#1-she's giving you the ole 'I wanna stay home with you' line because she knows you're a softy & maybe (just maybe) one day - you'll cave. #2-maybe she's having a problem with someone at school? Like maybe she's fought with a girl or a mean, stupid boy is being mean to her? Maybe you should ask her about that?
Good luck! :)

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

I was waiting for my mom to tell the story on me! I knew she wouldn't disappoint! Thanks Mom! I was such a pain! ha ha ha! :)