Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What I've learned in 9 years


9 years and 20 pounds ago, we said I do. It was a beautiful wedding, and the moment I laid eyes on Paul at the end of the isle I cried. Not tears of nerves or anything like that, it was just out of happiness, you know I'm one of those who cries over any emotion. :) So, here we are 9 years later, and I would say I've learned a lot about Paul...
I've learned just how completely opposite we are.
I knew this going into the marriage, but you know after the honeymoon is over, the differences are more noticeable. :)
I learned that giving you the nickname Rico, was perfect.
You are out of control with your suaveness sometimes.
I have evidence of this over and over...

I've learned that you cannot get the concept that these dishes...
Just go in this thing right here, called the dishwasher.
I've learned that sometimes you whistle so much, I want to shove a straw in there and choke you.
I've learned that I could scream fire and be naked when you play x-box, you would never notice me.
I've learned that you will always be one of the first ones on the dance floor.
And you can get down for a white guy.
You will also belt out a karaoke tune if given the opportunity.
I've learned over and over what fun you are.
You are usually up for anything

I learned very early on what you are truly made of.
Your strength and determination inspired me for years, as it still does today.
I learned the heartbreak of watching you suffer, and I learned that you NEVER give up.
I learned that you could face loss, and never doubt the one who gave it to you in the first place.
I learned what a good dad you are.
And that you help keep me balanced and sane parenting with me.

On that day, didn't we think we knew it all?? Hardly. I had lots to learn.
Most importantly, I've learned you are still the one for me.

17 comments:

Jami said...

Beautiful, beautiful post! Some of those pictures are hard to look at. Praise the Lord, we serve an amazing God!

Susie said...

What a beautiful and loving post!! Happy Anniversary!

Jaime Mac said...

You made me cry. I hate you.

Seriously - beautiful post... & still funny. I really hate you...

Jill said...

Happy Anniversary to a GREAT couple! Great post! :)

Tracey said...

I love you.
Happy Anniversary!!!

Nichole Davis said...

That was very beautiful, Gretchen!

Arthur Family said...

Wow..awesome post! Happy Celebration of each other!

Unknown said...

You guys are great. This made me cry. Just when you thought you knew everything, you realize that you know nothing.

jparr said...

That was a great post! Kyle and I have our 9th anniversary in December. I identified with you on many things.
Happy anniversary!!

Blake said...

Oh Dear.......Gretchen.

What a beautiful post, and I agree with Jami - some are hard to look at because you can see the pain of his suffering. Bless his heart. So glad that he had you and the Lord to lean on through ALL the years. Amazing man, Amazing woman. Amazing marriage.

Blake said...

it's britt.....not blake:)

pambush said...

What a wonderful, heartfelt blog! We're proud to call you our daughter-in-law and the way you've both grown in your marriage and in your walk with the Lord. A couple of the pics were hard to look at, but reminded me again why I'm writing Paul's story. Happy Anniverary!

the lewis gang said...

how beautiful! what a great way to commemorate 9 years together! congrats!!

Terry, Leslie, Noah, Allie, Laynie & Gracie said...

Awwww, what a wonderful post! Loved reading it and loved the pictures from your wedding! So sweet!

Amanda Brady said...

What a sweet post. Loved the pics. Can I ask what was the situation with the ones in the hospital?

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

Wow! What a post! Happy anniversary!!

ginmommy said...

Hey Amanda! Paul has Crohn's disease, and those pictures are right after his bowel ruptured. He was just fighting infection for many, many years.